Friday, December 4, 2015

The "Most Important" thing

*Disclaimer! I know this is late. I know this probably won't count toward my grade. I just wanted to write it just to help my colleagues with their second blog posts.*

Alright, my first semester at a new college and my first class here is my least favorite subject, English. Great. 9:30am rolls around and I decided to sit in what my instructor described as the "C" row. Once again, great, just the encouragement I needed. My first impression of the class was that since it was an English course I would be writing essays upon essays, as well as analyzing pieces of work that I actually had no interest in. However, this English course, taught by Mr. Hamon, was...different. Mr. Hamon stated that "this is going to be a [flopped] course". Ok...what exactly does that entitle? Well, come to find out, the course is literally flipped, which means that all the research and readings are done outside the class, while all the work/homework is done inside the classroom. Alright, new things...new experiences. I was hesitant though to say the least because even though it seemed that simple, I felt like there would be some complications with myself with it being the first time I experienced this kind of atmosphere for a course, and there were. Instead of writing essays upon essays, we wrote simple blog posts, and then the three more "weighted" assignments were as followed: a group project, a Wikipedia assignment (something new to me), and a regular research paper. So, my first impression of the course was not completely true, shockingly. My complications to such a simple course was simply poor time management skills because along with going to class, I was also working. With this course however, it taught me how to improve myself with the poor time management. From here on, I will take what I learned from this course and apply it to my other courses in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment